How to De-Stress & Maintain (Not Gain) This Holiday Season
I think we can all agree that the holidays are a wonderful time of year full of great moments shared with family, friends, and loved ones. Unfortunately, this special time of year can also add extra stress to your life and inches to your waistline. Lucky for you, we have teamed up with our Carmel neighbors at The Dragonfly Center to bring you tips on how to stay on track so you can fully enjoy the holidays without the extra worry or pounds.
Tip 1: Give Acupuncture a try (yes, you heard us right…it’s awesome!):
Acupuncture is a holistic way to maintain your stress levels and help treat other ailments such as joint and muscle pain, headaches, fertility, and more. Ariane Newell, Licensed Acupuncturist at The Dragonfly Center, shares three tips on how acupuncture can improve your stress & help you manage your weight during the holidays.
- Reduce Cravings: Acupuncture can help keep those cravings for sugary holiday treats at bay!
- Sleep Better: Lack of sleep can derail your health and fitness goals faster than anything. Get better rest with the balancing effects of acupuncture.
- Stress Management: In-laws in town for the Holidays? Are you feeling extra stressed or emotional? A tailored acupuncture treatment can help you find your calm and reduce those anxious feelings.
Tip 2: Don’t let the holidays derail your healthy eating routine:
We all know what it feels like to get into a good routine of healthy eating and exercise only to be thrown off track by the holidays. Adrienne D’Angelo, nutritionist at The Dragonfly Center, shares special tips on how to save yourself from falling off the wagon when the temptations get tough around the holiday season!
- Don’t go to a holiday party or dinner on an empty stomach. Try consuming a significant source of protein (10-20 grams) such as Greek yogurt with almonds, or a hard boiled egg with string cheese. This little snack will help with portion control at your dinner or party, plus it will also fight cravings AFTER the party!
- Try not to approach the holiday season with a mentality of starting fresh in the New Year. It’s much harder to lose weight than it is to maintain, so don’t create more work for yourself in January if you don’t have to. Set a goal to have one nutrient rich, healthy meal per day. Aim to eat one serving of a green vegetable on days you indulge in larger meals, treats, or alcohol. Always choose EITHER alcohol or desert; but NEVER both.
- Pay attention to saturated fat grams. This is the type of fat that our holiday foods are filled with and it is not healthy for our hearts or our physiques! Things like: butter, cream, chocolate, animal lard, and orange/yellow cheese should be eaten in moderation. A good goal is to eat less than 5 – 8g of saturated fat per main meal.
Tip 3: Don’t neglect your workouts:
We know it can be hard to find time during the busy holiday season, but we highly recommend staying consistent with your fitness routine and workouts to manage stress, burn calories, and avoid the winter blues. when the weather starts to get cold As hard as it can be to stick to a routine during the holidays, it can be even harder to start back up after several weeks on hiatus!
A special offer from Dragonfly to help keep you healthy & on track!
Because our friends at The Dragonfly Center are as passionate about staying calm & healthy during the holiday season as we are, they will be extending a special just for Reforming Indy clients: receive a 30 minute Destress Acupuncture session AND a 60 minute Nutrition Counseling session for only $99! Email Riana@reformingindy.com if you would like to take advantage of this offer and see how Dragonfly’s wellness services can help you end 2016 and start 2017 on the right foot.