Homemade Trail Mix: A Healthy Girl’s Guide
Tried, tested + approved! Ashley & I love a good trail mix, so we decided to try our own versions at home. Let us tell you, it is SO easy to make a big batch of this, and it will last up to one month when stored properly in an airtight container. So, here are two different versions to satisfy your sweet side, or that salty side!
CAJUN TRAIL MIX:
½ cup whole raw almonds
½ cup pecans
½ cup walnut halves
¼ cup unsalted sunflower seeds
¼ cup unsalted pumpkin seeds
2 tablespoons of coconut oil (we used a spray coconut oil)
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp chili powder
¼ tsp cumin
Pro tip: be generous with your spices!
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees!
- Combine all of your nuts in a large bowl
- Lightly coat, or spray nuts with coconut oil, stir, and then add your spices, and stir again.
- Spread nuts flat on a baking sheet, and place them in the oven. Mix the nuts around every few minutes while roasting. Once they are toasted & smelling yummy (no longer than 15 mintues), remove from oven & let cool.
RAW ENERGY TRAIL MIX:
¾ cup raw pecans
¾ cup raw walnuts
½ cup raw sunflower seeds
½ pump raw pumpkin seeds
½ cup unsweetened cranberries
½ cup unsweetened, unsulfured apricots
¼ tsp sea salt
½ tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
- Combine nuts & dried fruit in a large bowl
- Combine spices in a small bowl & stir into nuts
We doubled our recipes so we could make some goodie bags for our team, and even some clients were able to enjoy the treats! We recommend keeping these two recipes in your pantry AT ALL TIMES. Happy Trail Mixing!